Nap time is one of the most important moments for your baby’s life and health. In the first weeks it is supernormal for your little one to fall asleep during or after breastfeeding and this can cause a problem for the mother, because the baby creates the habit of taking the nap time on her lap. When the correct one is still awake, put him to sleep in the crib.
But be aware, at the time of the nap as well as the duration time differs from baby to baby and it is quite common the concern for moms and dads of first trip, doubts on this matter.
Benefits of Snoozing in Baby’s Life
At nap time it is of great importance for the baby, being fundamental for his physical and psychological development . For this moment to happen smoothly and bring benefits to the health of your little one, see some tips that will help your baby in this moment so Special.
- Pay attention if your baby tells you that at the time of sleep , they scratch their eyes, ears, yawn, get agitated and irritated, cry, look for the breast and make faces. The important thing is to capture these signals, because, this is the ideal time to make them sleep.
- Be careful, do not expect him to be too tired, as he will end up fighting sleep , causing great stress for both.
- It is important that you have a routine , the nap time must be respected. Always held at the same time and respecting the needs of your little one, if you usually sleep with a diaper, stuffed animal, with two pacifiers, these objects are familiar to them and bring safety to the child.
- The environment of the nanny must be super calm, close the curtains, leave a small light of light and put a lullaby that is soft in this way your baby will be calm and soon be asleep.
- Bright lights and play should be avoided hours before putting your child to sleep.
- The warm bath before the baby goes to sleep helps to relax and be calmer.
- It is important, as soon as you notice the signs that your baby is wanting to sleep, put him in the crib and process the lullaby. Delay can cause agitation and irritation in your baby, making this moment more difficult.
My Baby Sleeps A Lot – Is It Normal?
Many moms worry about the “ my baby sleeps a lot ” issue and are terrified of the number of hours their baby sleeps, but it is supernormal, especially in the first days and months of life. A newborn usually sleeps about sixteen to twenty hours a day. They wake up to change diapers, suck, cry and soon go back to sleep.
This stage is super important for the development and growth of your baby, when the baby sleeps works physical and psychological aspects activating his central system strengthening his memory.
Number of Hours Needed for Sleep
- A newborn needs 16 to 20 hours of sleep a day.
- Babies with a month of 16 to 18 hours of sleep a day.
- Two months of 15 to 16 hours sleep day.
- Four months of 09 to 12 of sleep during the night and two hours of nap during the day that varies from 02 to 03 hours each.
- Six months , he sleeps 11 hours a night and two hours a nap during the day, from 2 to 3 hours each.
- Nine months , eleven hours a night, with two hours nap during the day, from 01 to 02 hours each.
- A one-year-old child sleeps ten to eleven hours a night, with a two-hour nap during the day, with 01 to 02 hours each.
- Two years old , he sleeps eleven hours a night, with a two-day nap during the day.
- Three years , he sleeps ten to eleven hours a night, a nap for two hours a day.
This time the nap time can be different from one baby to another , a baby can sleep a lot, with a longer period of hours and another baby having difficulty sleeping with a shorter period of hours. The ideal is to provide a routine at the time of nap, but always respecting the rhythm of your baby.
Night Well Slept Replaces Snooze Time?
A good night’s sleep is not a substitute for nap time , as this moment contributes to your child’s development and growth.
Of course, a good night’s sleep is necessary for the health of your little one, but nap time is of great importance for the child’s development. The absence of daytime sleep can reflect on your child’s behavior, causing anxiety, irritability, excessive crying and difficulty falling asleep.
At snooze time, it is extremely important for children up to three years old, increasing their disposition, becoming more in a good mood, relaxing and participating better in games and proposed activities.
As we saw, the time of the nap varies according to the child’s age and must be respected, this is different from sleep at night, but be careful the time of the nap should not be extended for a very long period.
If the child does not wake up, you should wake him up calmly , the important thing is to take into account your child’s rest time according to his rhythm so as not to hinder his development.
See also: Know Your Baby’s Reasons Not to Sleep
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.