Infant cough is a nuisance that in addition to presenting itself throughout the day, increases and worsens during the night, when the child lies down to sleep and brings a great discomfort not only for the children, but for their parents as well .
Tip For Cough Crisis Relief
Ideally, in coughing episodes, the pillow should be elevated or higher than the conventional one, to prevent the child from choking or suffocating if the food is returned.
What Causes Infant Cough
Infant cough is usually a symptom of flu, colds and allergies , and children tend to have more than adults because of their low immunity or because their immune system is not fully formed. But they can also be signs of more serious problems that need more specialized treatment, such as:
- Allergic rhinitis – Allergies to animal hair, dust and mites can cause infantile cough, in addition to runny nose and watery eyes.
- Asthma – The cough comes with difficulty in breathing and wheezing.
- Reflux – Persistent cough with no other apparent symptoms, causes food to return after persistent coughing attacks. They usually happen at night
- Respiratory Allergy – It can have the same causes as allergic rhinitis, besides the ingestion of some foods.
Sinusitis, pneumonia, laryngitis also have cough as a symptom and should be monitored very carefully. If the child has a period of more than 1 week with a continuous coughing crisis, the doctor should be consulted for further tests .
How to Treat Infant Cough?
Obviously each case there is a specific treatment, but there are ways to alleviate the symptoms as bothersome as:
- Taking a tablespoon of honey can help calm your cough
- Inhalation with saline in the case of a phlegm-filled cough can help not only relieve but expel phlegm
- Leave the environment more humid, leaving a wet towel next to the bed or cot, a basin with water can also help
Can I Give Syrup On My Own?
Syrups are always used and recommended because they are highly effective in controlling and relieving cough, especially dry cough syrup, which is usually the most uncomfortable for children. But we do not recommend that it be given on your own, always talk to your child’s pediatrician asking for a prescription for the appropriate medication.
In addition to syrups, there are homemade teas that help with this discomfort , ginger tea with lemon is a great option for children. As for cough syrups, we can easily find varied options in pharmacies, with different flavors that please the palate of children and that help to control and calm the cough.
See also: How to lower children’s fever?
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.