Masturbation is surrounded by myths and prejudices that have crystallized over time. There are still doubts about this practice of auto eroticism and many are fearful and reluctant to practice it. For many years it was considered an unnatural, sinful practice and an addiction capable of causing damage to health. Even today it is an activity that generates feelings of guilt, embarrassment and anxieties . However, it is important to understand that masturbation is a natural and healthy practice to release erotic tension.
Masturbation is more practiced by men than by women. This is due to the cultural aspect, since from an early age men are encouraged to explore their sexuality, while women are discouraged from doing so. The masturbatory practice has been shown to be efficient for the treatment of ejaculatory disorders and anorgasmias. It makes it possible for the individual to enrich his sexual relations, because by being aware of his own body and his sexual responsiveness, he can experience a much more satisfying growth and sex life. In addition, it facilitates the female orgasm to happen more easily.
It is important to know how to give pleasure to your body. Realizing your physical, emotional sensations, your thoughts, feelings and attitudes is something that you can exclusively experience. Discovering areas and ways to touch the body is something to be learned. Your body is your territory and must be appropriated by you. Therefore, it is too great a responsibility to attribute your pleasure to others. Therefore, discovering your potential to experience sensual and sexual pleasure , is fundamental for the freedom of genuine sexual interaction with another person. So we suggest some tips:
- Reserve 30 to 60 minutes for yourself;
- Choose a quiet place where you are comfortable and not disturbed;
- Try to relax and let go. Perhaps a warm bath can help and some relaxation exercises;
- Find a comfortable position, standing, sitting or lying down;
- Start by looking at your body and caressing it for a long time. With your eyes closed, your attention may be more focused. Use a moisturizing cream or bath oil of your choice, which facilitates tactile contact;
- Observe your pleasant sensations. Caress the breasts, inner thighs and arms, groin and neck;
- Caress the genital area. Let your hands find the labia and the clitoris. Caress them lightly and around them. Gently massage the clitoris between two fingers, or in a circular motion. Try increasing the speed and vary between strong pressure and light touches as you get excited.
- Observe the sensations: linger in the areas that give more pleasant sensations, better than others. Try to discover the different parts of your body and the sensations that give you the most pleasure.
- Touch the inside of the vagina, inserting one or more fingers, simulating penetration. Move them around. Observe your reaction. Be careful with the long nail, so as not to hurt.
- Discover ways to awaken your body. Use textures, for example, rubbing a rough towel or a piece of velvet or silk over the body. Use your imagination. Move your whole body, moving your hips and legs. The more real the situation, the more exciting.
- You can vary the time you spend on each part of your body while playing, and you can vary the time of day, whether early in the morning or late at night. Try to put on a sensual ambient music, if it won’t get in the way, to get you in the mood;
- Observe its natural lubrication. You can use other devices to increase your pleasure, for example, gels, stimulating oils, vibrators and masturbators. Watch out for some products or other additives that can cause skin irritation.
Try to do these discovery exercises twice a week . Find out if you like what you are doing and feeling. Give yourself more time and improve your relationship with your body. Thus, you will enjoy sexual self-knowledge.
By Dra Mirian Lopes, Psychologist specialized in human sexuality Bachelor / Psychology degree from UNIP Postgraduate in Human Sexuality from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo – FMUSP
Office: Rua Silvia, 383, Cerqueira Cesar São Paulo Tel .: (11 ) 3262.1447 and also visit Dr. Mirian’s website by clicking here
See also: Sex and Pregnancy – Perfect Match?
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.