This is one of the evils that make moms and dads lose sleep together with the baby. An evil that makes the little ones feel a lot of pain and the vast majority of babies go through it. I was fortunate enough to go through this as a shock treatment, as I had never heard of baby colic and suddenly I find myself in a totally new situation in which I did not know how to cope. And now?
When she was 15 days old, she had barely arrived home with Joana and there was already this little problem hanging around, she spent most nights in tears crying and even with the medication the doctor had already prescribed, the pain persisted and persisted in the early hours. So I was advised to take her to the specialist, because they told me about a reflux, what is this, my people? Days baby with stomach problems? Yea!!
Most babies have reflux . Now at the specialist, he tells me that the newborns’ digestive system is immature and to digest the offered milk, they accumulate gases and these in turn cause pain and that is why baby colic happens. Another factor is also the movement that the intestine still maturing makes.
So what to do with baby cramps?
First of all, we have to have a lot of patience, love and affection to deal with this situation because it is difficult, tiring, but neither the baby nor the mother is to blame for this more than ordinary situation. Then prepare a warm thermal bag and start learning how to make shantala to relieve baby cramps!
I bought several books on the subject of baby colic and when I had an opportunity I read them with the hope that there would be a miracle recipe in one of them, but unfortunately all I found were tips and are as follows:
- If you breastfeed, be careful with your food, avoid foods that can cause gas in your baby, avoid beans, broad beans, slow family grains. Soda, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage are also harmful in that they cause gases.
- Do not let the baby swallow air during breastfeeding, either through the breasts or even a bottle.
- Always put it to burp, this is essential!
- Prevent your baby from being exposed to the cold! My mother always told me that cold makes my stomach hurt, but why then? It is not known for sure, but that is a fact! I, with my offspring, have already realized that this is true.
- Try to keep the atmosphere quiet. Agitation can bring even more discomfort to the baby with colic, making him cry even more.
- And in case of pain, try to warm the baby’s tummy, it usually helps to eliminate the gas more easily and thus eliminate baby’s cramps. Daddies have a higher body temperature than we women, and this can help in times of crisis.
It is completely normal that you are going through this, if you did not and this pregnancy, it is good to put a thermal bag as part of the layette! Nowadays there are some facilities in this matter, I received as a gift a bag of linseed seeds that just heat up 30 seconds in the microwave and that’s it!
Bearing in mind that baby colic medications only with pediatrician guidance, you never know if your child may be allergic to any specific drug. Not all crying of the newborn can be because of colic. There are some cases in which the child may feel more hungry and therefore may cry not from colic but wanting to breastfeed, so free demand is important and mom should be aware of that too. To all mothers who are going through this phase, be patient and very aware that this phase passes.
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.