Due to the professional and daily routine of most women in the world, the search for simpler methods that require a little less attention to be used is growing more and more. The contraceptive pill is still at the top of the list because it is more accessible in terms of values, but it certainly loses its place in the list in the practicality issue for the contraceptive injection.
What is Contraceptive Injection?
The contraceptive injection is a hormonal injection that can be made up of progesterone or a combination of progesterone and estrogen. It has the same focus as oral contraceptives which is to prevent ovulation from happening normally , in addition to making the cervical mucus with a thicker consistency preventing sperm from reaching the uterine cavity, thus becoming two protective barriers.
In addition to the hormonal difference in its composition, there are two types of contraceptive injections, the one used monthly and the one used quarterly. Its application should be made in pharmacies and drugstores, only with the administration of a health professional and it is the best option for women who are not so ruled to use daily methods, since it is not necessary to remember to take it every day . Just mark the day of the next application on the calendar and, if necessary, put an alarm on your cell phone so you don’t forget.
How Does Contraceptive Injection in the Body Work?
Many women have several doubts about the operation of the contraceptive injection, especially because, if you take the injection in one day and you will be a month or in the case of the quarterly, three months protected from an unwanted pregnancy ? But how does this method work in the female organism?
The formula for contraceptive injection consists of long-term hormonal doses, which provide the daily release of the hormone, making it impossible for the ovulatory cycle to occur
naturally. The expected release is as if it were used daily, so it causes the same functioning as the oral method.
The application of both types is intramuscular , preferably in the buttocks. The monthly contraceptive injection is made up of a combination of estrogen and progestin and that of a quarterly application based on progesterone, which is indicated for those who have a restriction in the use of estrogen.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Contraceptive Injection
Like any method, there are the advantages and disadvantages of using it and so we will list them so you can put them on the scale and be able to think if it is what you expect. Obviously, each organism reacts in a different way and the indicated thing is to always do the test to observe the adaptation, always under the guidance and recommendation of your gynecologist.
Advantages of Using Contraceptive Injection
- At the top of the list of advantages is the convenience of being applied only once a month or every three months depending on the chosen option of the injectable method and of course the durability of the effect which is prolonged, which allows you to have a sex life without worries.
- The second advantage is that daily control is not necessary and the concern forgot to take it on time or skipped sometime, causing the contraceptive method to lose its effect.
- The third advantage is that with the use of contraceptive injection many women report a reduction in menstrual flow , which was previously intense. PMS symptoms also controlled, as well as the pain and cramps that are so uncomfortable.
- Fourth advantage, helps to fight anemia caused by the large loss of blood in the menstrual flow, in addition to helping to stimulate the production of red blood cells. It is also indicated as a great ally to women’s health to help fight breast diseases, ovarian, uterine or endometrial cancer, as well as in the treatment of cysts and fibroids.
Disadvantages of Using Contraceptive Injection
Like all methods, the use of injectable contraceptives can cause side effects or changes in the body and the female cycle. It is not a rule but there is a possibility of occurrences, so it is important to warn before choosing this method.
- The first disadvantage is that because it takes a long time to take the next application, the exact date may be forgotten. Therefore, we recommend that it is marked on a calendar that is always seen, a cell phone alarm or even a menstrual cycle monitoring APP, such as the Paula App.
- The second disadvantage is the side effects of using this long-lasting hormonal combination, which can cause headache, abdominal discomfort, changes in mood, changes in the menstrual cycle and changes in weight.
- The third disadvantage is that, if you experience the side effects, its use cannot be stopped to stop the symptoms. It will be necessary to wait for the effect and hormones to leave the body naturally.
- The fourth disadvantage is that when the decision to try to conceive is made, the effect of the contraceptive injection usually takes longer in the body than
other contraceptive methods. It can take from 3 months to 1 year, depending on the woman, so that fertility is normalized.
- And the fifth and last of the list of disadvantages is that the contraceptive method cannot be applied by anyone. It must be given in a pharmacy, by a pharmacist or responsible health professional. It can be given in the same place as the purchase.
What Day Should I Take The Birth Control Injection?
The first time the contraceptive injection will be taken, it must be applied on the first day of menstruation, no later than the 5th day of menstrual onset, as well as all other contraceptive methods. This recommendation is made precisely to ensure that the woman is not pregnant and that she starts her cycle with the contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy from that period.
The other doses will depend on the type of contraceptive injection chosen, monthly or quarterly. The deadline must be exactly 30 days or 90 days, regardless of the day that menstruation took place. In some cases, the cycle can completely deregulate and menstruation doesn’t even happen. Even so, take the next dose on the scheduled date to ensure the effectiveness of the method.
IMPORTANT: During the first month of application of the contraceptive injection the woman is not protected, so use other contraceptive methods to prevent pregnancy, such as condoms.
What if I forget to take my injection on the right day?
The safety period given for forgetting to take the contraceptive injection is 1 to 3 days. After that, it can be taken, but it is recommended to use other methods of contraceptive security throughout the month, as a guarantee, such as a condom. However, if taken within 3 days of the scheduled date, the method continues with its guaranteed effect.
Is There Any Contraindication to Use?
Its use should always be indicated by a gynecologist, who will guarantee the use of the ideal method for your health and need. There are contraindications for the use of the contraceptive injection, which are for women with hypersensitivity to some of the components of the injection, pregnant women, women undergoing breast cancer treatment, neurological problems, hypertension, with vascular problems, women with lupus, liver disease and diabetics. It is also not recommended for women who have given birth for less than 6 weeks. The use during breastfeeding must be prescribed the exact type by the doctor, so as not to cause problems to the baby.
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.