On hot days to escape the high temperatures and the hassle of being in stuffy places, many people surrender to air conditioning. But what to do when you have a baby at home? The first thing to know is that air conditioning is not prohibited if there is a newborn at home, but some precautions are paramount.
One of the main problems caused by the use of air conditioning is to remove the natural moisture from the air , therefore, the nose cannot properly filter the air or humidify it so that it reaches the lungs in better conditions.
People who have been exposed to air conditioning for a long time are also more likely to contract health problems or to have intensified allergic problems such as rhinitis , sinusitis or asthma . And so that a baby can be exposed to air conditioning without risk, it is important that parents follow important recommendations when using it.
Find out how it is possible to have air conditioning at home without harming the baby
Babies also suffer from the discomfort caused by high temperatures, so if some care is taken in relation to the use of the air conditioning feature, the problems can be minimized considerably.
The recommendation on warmer days is that parents avoid exposing the child to very hot places or under direct exposure to the sun. The newborn can stay in the air conditioner as long as some care is taken, it is important that the parents understand that the degree of cooling of the air to which they were accustomed before the arrival of the child cannot be the same for a baby still so fragile.
9 Tips for Using a Risk-Free Air Conditioner
- Control of dryness – Drying of the air caused by air conditioning is inevitable and in the same way that adults feel a dry nose, the child will also be subject to malaise. Therefore, some devices can be used to prevent the total removal of moisture from the air, such as: using a humidifier, basin with water or a wet towel on the spot.
- Ideal temperature – The ideal temperature to avoid harming the child should be between 23 ° C and 27 ° C. The newborn can sleep in the air conditioner as long as these precautions are respected, but the ideal is that the air is previously cooled to a temperature of up to 25 ° C and when taking the child to the room, the device can be turned off.
- Quality appliance – It is essential that the appliance is of good quality, that it is frequently sanitized and today on the market there are even options that promise to filter up to 80% of bacteria and fungi, which can improve air conditions and prevent children from processes allergic.
- Air conditioning in the car – It is also not prohibited, but it is important that parents take some precautions such as not leaving the air outlet pointed directly at the child’s face. In the case of more powerful devices, it is important to adjust the temperature so that the environment in the car does not get cold, but just pleasant.
- Fan – The fan can be used, but it is essential that the environment is impeccably clean or else it will be just a device to spread particles of dirt, fungi and bacteria. It should not be positioned directly on the child and in the case of larger babies, care must be taken to keep the device out of reach.
- Humidifier – This device can be harmful because it can make the air very humid, also becoming a source of proliferation of fungi and bacteria. The ideal is that the environment is very clean and that there is natural ventilation in the place.
- In the child’s bath – Ideally, the air conditioning unit should be turned off at the time of the baby’s bath, to avoid thermal shock (cold air after a warm bath). The ideal is to switch the appliance on again only when the child’s hair is dry.
- Truce – At times of the day it is important to turn off the appliance and allow ventilation to enter through the window and doors, this helps to renew the air in the room.
- Device in the correct place – Ideally, the device should be away from the child’s crib and in a position opposite the baby’s head.
IMPORTANT: Although the limit temperature for cooling the air is 27 ° C, most experts advise that during the day it is between 24 ° C and 26 ° C so that the baby is comfortable and out of trouble.
Air conditioning is bad for the baby if some precautions are not taken, but if the parents respect the main tips it is possible to have a pleasant environment in the heat and that does not cause damage to the health of the child, on the contrary, bringing the baby more comfort and welfare.
Taking advantage of the space I want to tell a novelty to our mommy readers, who intend to have another baby in the future or have a couple friend who is trying to get pregnant. In partnership with the company Famivita, we developed some products that help in the fertility of men and women, among them fertility vitamins that potentiates FamiFerti ovulation and in the case of men improves the quality of sperm, ViriFerti, as well as the ovulation test, pregnancy test and the FamiGel lubricating gel. You can purchase them here in our online store.
See Also: Baby Skin Allergy – What Can It Be?
My name is Dr. Alexis Hart I am 38 years old, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children! Different ages, different phases 16 years, 12 years and 7 years. In love with motherhood since always, I found it difficult to make my dreams come true, and also some more after I was already a mother.
Since I imagined myself as a mother, in my thoughts everything seemed to be much easier and simpler than it really was, I expected to get pregnant as soon as I wished, but it wasn’t that simple. The first pregnancy was smooth, but my daughter’s birth was very troubled. Joana was born in 2002 with a weight of 2930kg and 45cm, from a very peaceful cesarean delivery but she had already been born with congenital pneumonia due to a broken bag not treated with antibiotics even before delivery.